After months of preparation and anticipation, countless trips to Lowe's to finish projects, packing, and thousands of other details, he left today. More specifically, Tad started his adventure in moving to SC. The month of May flew by, I thought we'd have more time, I thought I'd be better prepared, but I wasn't. It hit me this morning as we packed his clothes, he's really leaving. And not for a few days, but for good. We will come to him this time, and not come back to the only home my children have known, and the one I've called home for 10 years.
I choked back tears all morning for the sake of the kids. We dragged out the leaving as long as possible today not wanting to face the inevitable. Don't get me wrong, we are thrilled to start our new adventure, we are NOT thrilled about being separated. I know we didn't 'have' to do it, but it seems like it will work out better for everyone this way.
Finally, he had to go. It's a long drive, and with 2 aging chocolate labs, it will be even longer. I tried to busy myself with small details, but it didn't help. Soon Tad and I were both in tears. It was gut-wrenching to watch him say goodbye to his girls, his beloved girls. It quickly hit Ella that he was leaving and she wouldn't see him for a LONG time, and she was sobbing. That did not make it any easier. Thankfully Emery didn't catch on to the mood of everyone else, and was her typical humorous self. I don't recall exactly what all she said, she was skipping around and kept saying 'bye daddy!'.
And so he left with his gaggle of girls in the driveway, half in tears and sobbing, and the other half oblivious to what was occuring. We watched him drive the large moving van drive past, dogs in the jeep he was pulling behind, Casey cheerfully in the passenger seat. We watched until we could see him no more, Ella and I cried together for a while longer before finally going inside. We spent the next few hours at Nana and Papa T's. They thankfully created a diversion for the girls, and after an hour of crying, Ella perked up for a while.
My heart feels as though it's been ripped in half. I haven't been apart from Tad for this long for 13.5 years. We don't see him for another 4.5 weeks. I at least have the girls to console me, I can't imagine what he is going through. Though I'm not sure if 'console' is the right word. At the drop of a hat Ella and Emery will bust out in tears saying they miss their daddy. I join in crying with them, I miss him too.
He has traveled safely so far today. The dogs aren't exactly happy about it, we just hope they can manage the next few days. He should be reaching Evansville, IN soon and stopping there for the night. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully faster and easier traveling for Tad and the dogs, and less crying at our house.
I know it will get better, we will be swamped with preparing for the movers, the anniversary party, VBS, swim lessons, and before we know it dance recital will be here. Then it is our turn to make our trip to our new home. Unfortunately, knowing that still doesn't make it any easier, or the pain go away. So hug your loved one, and remind them how much you care when you see them next! And be glad you are together!
Love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
ok - no fair making me cry at work. i was doing so well.
i didn't call yesterday because i thought it could be too teary and sometimes just knowing someone is thinking of you is the best comfort.
these next days will go quickly by so enjoy...
Post a Comment