Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A child's laughter

There is nothing more beautiful to me in this world than the sound of a child's pure laughter. It's contagious, full of emotion, and raw. I wish I could bottle it up and have it with me all the time.

Last night we put the older girls to bed but of course Evie wasn't ready. She was on her 3rd or 4th wind of the night. Finally I had enough and knew she needed to go to bed. So, I picked her up and put her in bed. I expected a bit of a fight, a little crying that stops within 30 seconds like usual, but last night was eerily silent. I figured she would explode shortly, so I better change myself for bed and prepare for a long night.

Instead, after changing into my own jammies I came out in the hall to hear her laughing. That good ole fashioned baby belly laugh. The most BEAUTIFUL sound!! I rushed back into the bedroom and told Tad. Then I went to investigate assuming that Emery had crawled out of bed and was playing with her.

The laughter continued.

I opened the door to their room ever so slightly, enough to see that Emery and Ella were sound asleep, and Evie was still laughing. I giggled to myself wondering what possible amusement and 18 month old child could find in the dark.

The laughing continued.

10 minutes later, the laughter was a little slower, coming in spurts, and I had a big old smile on my face. It truly is the best medicine!!

Eventually she fell asleep, but I'm sure it was with a smile on her face :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go figure!?!

Thinking of the baby giggle makes me smile too. Good story, Sis.